THE APPLICATION IS LONG AND CONTAINS A GREAT DEAL OF INFORMATION. PLEASE READ AND COMPLETE EVERY SECTION CAREFULLY.
STUDENT AND PARENT/GUARDIAN MUST SIGN THIS APPLICATION. PLEASE COMPLETE WITH BOTH PARTIES PRESENT. THE APPLICATION WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED BEARING BOTH DIGITAL SIGNATURES.
AT THE VERY END, YOU MUST CLICK TO "SUBMIT" THE APPLICATION. YOU WILL RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION EMAIL THEREAFTER.
Thank you for your interest in the Land O' Lakes High School International Baccalaureate Programme. This application is designed for current 8th graders requesting consideration for 9th grade admission to our Pre-International Baccalaureate Program (Pre-IB) in August 2017.
There are many questions and sections to be read carefully. Provide all information accurately and completely. Incomplete applications may be delayed or not considered.
HINT: For further assistance completing a particular item, hover your pointer over the blank to see help text.
NOTE: If you are requesting 10th or 11th grade admission for August 2017, you are to complete this application in full and await contact by our office if we require additional information from you so we may review your request.
Students requesting 9th, 10th, or 11th grade admission must complete the writing and mathematics sample at our school on December 10, 2016 from 8:30am to 10:30am.
Applications are reviewed for the following:
-Algebra 1 (for high school credit) completed in middle school with a grade of A or B; preferably at the honors level
-3.0 or higher average in all courses; preferably 3.5
-3.0 or above on writing sample conducted through Land O’ Lakes High School; preferably 4.0
-Passing score on mathematics sample conducted through Land O’ Lakes High School
-Above average performance on standardized / state / end of course exams
-Clear school behavior and citizenship history; strong attendance history
CORRESPONDENCE EMAIL ADDRESS
Before we begin, please provide an email address that you wish us to use for all correspondence purposes regarding this application. It should be an account you check regularly. We will send a confirmation that you have submitted the application to this address. Check your entry carefully. (The email address you input here may be the same as or different from other email addresses provided in this application.) Note: The confirmation email looks just like the application with your responses filled in.
Please check your spam folder for messages that may end up there. We recommend that you check your email settings and add the domain pasco.k12.fl.us to accept all messages sent from addresses at Pasco County Schools. Land O' Lakes High School cannot be responsible for individual households' email settings.
STUDENT APPLICANT INFORMATION
Enter all student applicant information as requested.
Remember that all information must reflect the legal name and address for the student. Complete all sections in full. Thank you.
Provide the STUDENT'S full legal name. If no middle name, leave that space blank.
This should be an email address the student checks regularly.
If student is NOT currently enrolled in a Pasco County public school, enter 000000 (six zeroes).
Select the ONE option that describes the applicant's grade this year and next.
Select the middle school in which the student is currently enrolled and attending.
The zoned high school is determined by the legal residence address.
Enter all information for at least ONE parent/guardian.
Double check your entry for accuracy please.
PRE-IB AND IB SEQUENCE OF STUDY
Families and students must read and acknowledge that they understand the information detailing the 4-year course sequence.
The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB) at Land O’ Lakes High School offers high-achieving, high-performing students an opportunity to pursue a rigorous program of study during their high school years. The IB Diploma is widely accepted at universities and colleges throughout the world (see individual schools’ website for their policies). Students pursuing the IB Diploma meet international standards of proficiency in:
-Spanish Language Acquisition
-Individuals and Societies
-Experimental Sciences (including the Group 4 Project in grade 11)
-IB Elective Course / Fine Arts
-The IB Core* (Theory of Knowledge, Creativity-Action-Service, Extended Essay)
*IB Core: To receive the IB Diploma, students must satisfactorily complete: a 4,000 (max.) word Extended Essay; Creativity-Action-Service (CAS); Theory of Knowledge experiences, course, course presentation and paper.
Students must earn the minimum 24-credits delineated by the Student Progression Plan, pass the required state examinations for their graduation cohort, and maintain an unweighted cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.6 in order to derive the greatest program benefit (that is, to be well-positioned for university admissions).
To provide every opportunity for success, the IB Diploma Programme at Land O’ Lakes High School calls for students to complete a sequence of studies in ninth and tenth grade referred to as the Land O’ Lakes High School Pre-IB.
All classes in the 4-year Pre-IB and IB plan of study shown below are completed on campus. None may be completed online.
Throughout their four years in high school, students will follow the program of study below (reflects prior entry year and is subject to change).
9th Grade LOLHS Pre-IB
Pre-IB English 1 Honors
Pre-IB Spanish 1 Honors (Spanish 1 and half of Spanish 2)
Mathematics: Typically, Pre-IB Geometry Honors -or- Pre-IB Algebra 2 Honors
Pre-IB/AP World History
Pre-IB Biology 1 Honors
Pre-IB Inquiry Skills Honors
10th Grade LOLHS Pre-IB
Pre-IB English 2 Honors
Pre-IB Spanish 3 Honors (Second part of Spanish 2 and Spanish 3)
Pre-IB/AP European History
Pre-IB Chemistry 1 Honors
Mathematics: Typically, Pre-IB Algebra 2 Honors -or- IB Precalculus
LOLHS Elective (any available)
11th Grade - First IB Diploma Year
IB/AP English Language and Composition
IB Spanish 4
IB/AP U.S. History
Mathematics: Typically, IB Precalculus - or- IB Math.Studies SL -or- IB Mathematics SL
IB Standard Level Elective (one of IB Social and Cultural Anthropology; IB Chemistry; IB Physics; IB Music)
Group 4 Science Project (conducted as a team)
IB Core (Theory of Knowledge lessons; CAS; Extended Essay beginning in spring)
12th Grade - Second IB Diploma Year
IB English Literature HL
IB Spanish SL or HL
IB History of the Americas HL
IB Biology HL
Mathematics: Typically, IB Math.Studies SL -or- IB Mathematics SL
IB Core (Theory of Knowledge; CAS; Extended Essay)
(We recognize that IB may not be for everyone. For students whose strengths are in primarily one or two academic areas, there are strong Honors, Advanced Placement, or Dual Enrollment options offered in all of Pasco County’s public high schools. Dual Enrollment is NOT available to Pre-IB/IB students.)
Abbreviations Used: IB (International Baccalaureate course assessments); AP (Advanced Placement course assessments); SL (standard level examination designation); HL (higher level examination designation); CAS (Creativity-Action-Service component activities and project).
You must accept the terms describing the program course sequence and requirements in order to continue the application process.
PRE-IB AND IB MISSION STATEMENT
Families and students must read and acknowledge that they understand the information detailing the IB Mission.
The IB Diploma Programme at Land O’ Lakes High School embraces the IB Mission:
"The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
"To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment.
"These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right."
The IB Learner Profile- Students develop strengths in the following characteristics: Inquirers; Knowledgeable; Thinkers; Communicators; Principled; Open-Minded; Caring; Risk-takers; Balanced; Reflective.
All aspects detailed above connect to the Pasco County Schools Vision:
"To provide a world-class education for all students."
These are similarly encompassed by the Land O' Lakes High School Mission:
"Land O’ Lakes High School graduates emerge prepared for lifelong learning, personal and civic responsibility, global understanding, and respect for the uniqueness of the individual."
You must ascribe to the IB, District, and School vision and mission statements in order to continue the application process.
STATEMENT OF INTENT AND RELEASE
Families and students must read and acknowledge that they understand the parameters indicated.
• We have read the Pre-International Baccalaureate (LOLHS Pre-IB) application literature and commit our full support to participation. (For additional information about the IB, visit www.ibo.org.)
• If applying from a school other than a Pasco County public school (non-charter; non-private), we agree to provide an official grade report and standardized test history at the end of first semester - typically mid-January - and the end of the academic year - typically the start of June - as part of the application process.
• We understand that meeting the minimum eligibility requirements does not ensure acceptance or admission to the program and that the decision by the selection committee will be final.
• If selected to the program, we agree to support our student’s participation for at least one school year and to abide by the scheduling determination of the school, IB Coordinator, and IB School Counselor.
• Successful completion of the IB Program as described in the Pasco County Schools Student Progression Plan qualifies IB students for high school graduation. Should our student leave the IB Program, our student must return to his/her zoned school and meet all graduation requirements specified by Florida Statutes and Pasco County Schools Student Progression Plan for non-IB programs of study. This will likely entail additional courses and online study.
• We understand that athletic eligibility is determined in accordance with FHSAA regulations. Students zoned for Land O’ Lakes High School and students from outside the LOLHS attendance zone but who are enrolled in good standing in the LOLHS Pre-IB and IB are eligible to participate and compete per FHSAA regulations. The school's Athletic Director will handle all matters related to athletic participation.
• Release. If our student is accepted into the IB program, we give permission for his/her name, phone number, other directory information as prescribed by law, and our address to be published in the IB student directory. We give permission for the publication of student work, photos/video of the student, and photos/video of classroom activities, when applicable, for LOLHS IB and news media purposes. If we wish to opt out of this, we must request and comply with the processes for doing so as set forth by Pasco County Schools and its Communications Director. If the opt-out is approved by Pasco County Schools, we will provide evidence of this to the school’s IB Coordinator. Without complying as such, the school, district, and their representatives are held harmless.
You must agree to the Statement of Intent and Release as described in order to continue the application process.
ADHERENCE TO ACADEMIC HONESTY POLICY
Land O’ Lakes High School International Baccalaureate Academic Honesty Policy
I understand the rules of the Land O’ Lakes High School academic honesty policy and agree to adhere to the expectations. I have been given the opportunity to review this policy and understand the consequences listed below of:
• Plagiarism – the representation of the ideas or work of another person as your own.
• Collusion – allowing one’s work to be copied, in part or in whole, and/or submitted for assessment by another.
• Duplication of work – presentation of the same work for different assessment components in the same or different courses.
• Or any other behavior that gains an unfair advantage over another candidate.
The severity of the circumstances will guide the consequences, which may be, but will not be limited to:
• 1st incident – zero on assignment and/or other teacher-determined consequence, contact parent/guardian, document in school incident records on myStudent, document in IB file. If a school discipline referral is generated, it will be placed on hold.
• 2nd incident – same as for 1st incident plus school discipline referral to be processed with consequences determined by the IB Coordinator.
• 3rd incident – same as 2nd incident plus dismissal from the IB Programme.
I understand that any infraction violating the International Baccalaureate Organization’s (IBO/The IB) terms surrounding malpractice on internal and external assessment components will be elevated to review by The IB. The consequences will be carried out as directed the school by The IB regardless of whether first or subsequent incident. School level consequences also may be imposed.
"I/we agree to act in accordance with this policy."
Signatures of both student and parent/guardian must be digitally recorded in the fields where indicated. This application will be excluded if either is missing.
You must agree to the Land O' Lakes High School IB Academic Honesty Policy as described in order to continue the application process. Check ONE only.
You may clear this field to "redo" your signature, because a signature is required.
You may clear this field to "redo" your signature, because a signature is required.
TIMELINE AND IMPORTANT DATES - PLEASE MAKE NOTE
Deadline to Apply: Saturday, December 10, 2016, 8:00am
Writing and Math Sample: Saturday, December 10, 2016 8:30am to 10:30am at Land O' Lakes High School. Arrive beginning 8am to check in.
Only students are permitted in the building. Parents/ guardians/ drivers/ others are directed to spend time off campus and return at 10:30am to pick up the applicant.
Bring writing paper, pen, pencil, eraser. No calculators or dictionaries.
All electronic devices must be turned off.
You will write a well-formulated essay on a writing prompt we provide to you.
You will answer 25 multiple-choice questions from elements studied in the first semester of Algebra 1.
No preparation necessary (it's not something to study for). Get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast.
January and February 2017: Each student’s eligibility is reviewed by the school, which includes the IB Coordinator, IB School Counselor, and IB teachers. Additional information may be requested.
*If you attend a non-Pasco County public school or a charter school, please have the main office send a grade history (transcript) and standardized assessment score history to upon completion of semester 1 - typically near the start of January:
Mr. Morgenstein, IB Coordinator
Land O' Lakes High School
20325 Gator Lane
Land O' Lakes FL 34638
This does not have to be an official transcript, but must include semester 1 grades and prior standardized/state exam results.
February 2017 (mid-month): Invitations begin to be sent. (Applicants will be updated by email with the specific date for this.)
Students are notified of their application status through an invitation letter sent by email and USPS. (The confirmation email address and legal residence address in this application will be used.)
Students invited to join the Land O’ Lakes High School Pre-IB Program are provided the URL of a web-based response system to which they reply with “Accept” or “Decline” by the deadline given in the letter.
Non-respondents forfeit their place.
Students who do not meet the first-round criteria may be placed on a waiting list. If seats become available, students on the waiting list may receive further communication regarding their status.
March 2017 (beginning of month): Deadline to respond to invitation.
Late-March through end-June 2017: Waiting list students contacted if additional placements become available; responses recorded.
Spring 2017: New 9th grade Pre-IB students are registered into their courses and notice sent to their middle school counselors.
June 15, 2017: Summer assignments become available on the Land O' Lakes High School webpage. Look for items listed under "9th Grade Pre-IB" or "Freshman IB."
August 2017: The week before classes start
Tuesday School wide Orientation Day - Come in to pick up schedule, pay fees and for lockers, etc.
Thursday 6:30pm-8:30pm - Pre-IB 9th Grade Information Night and Induction Ceremony (all new 9th grade Pre-IB students and families are invited. Dress is business casual. Light refreshments will be served.)